Here is a list of the journalism and writing tools. This page is constantly updated with new, helpful tips and resources for you to utilize for your writing as well as to help you advance in your career.
- Proofreading your own work is one of the hardest things to do. However, it may come easier to some than others. To become a better proofreader takes time. To help you become a good editor, try the tips Kristen uses for her work.
- NEW – When proofreading text there is a number of ways to get the job done. Here is a helpful linkthatprovides a list of tips and tricks for reading text.
Helpful Writing Links
- Check out the Society of Professional Journalist toolbox for tips and other links to helpful sites. The toolbox has helpful links and tools for almost every situation you may come across in the business.
- Check your spelling and grammar by using either the Spell Check Plus websites or WhiteSmoke™ software.
- When you are looking for quick grammar tips, the Grammar Girl website is great. It provides detailed reasons and examples for the most common mistakes as well as the most confusing rules.
Helpful Journalism Links
- Looking to see which station rated the highest and which was the lowest? Trying to find the answer online can be rather difficult, well it was for me. So here is the Nielsen List, one of the most popular in the industry.
- Do you need to improve your AP writing or keep up your writing fresh? Here is a great site to use that tests your writing skills, vocabulary, and grammar. Test yourself now.
- As a journalist you are constantly on the go. It may also be difficult finding out the pronunciation of word before you tape or go live. With this resource, you are able to type in the word you need help pronouncing and be ready to report quickly.
Advancing Your Career
- Use Facebook® to your advantage by promoting yourself through social media. Build your CV on Facebook now.
- There are several different types of resumes, and it is often hard to tell which one is best for you. Well, for a writer it is important to design a writer’s resume. This type of resume features your skills and portfolio first, which is most important as a writer. Check it out and see the difference and make changes that highlight you.